Sunday, May 19, 2013

"Our Teachers Deserve Better"

A Video Camera in Every Classroom?

Over the weekend I read an interesting article from the Huffington Post about have have a video camera in every classroom.   Bill Gates brought up this idea during a recent TED talk - proposing to have a camera in every classroom to help teachers get better: rather than only focusing on evaluation, look at growth models where video is in the center of self reflection.  This does make sense as you are never going to get better at anything, including teaching, as long as you are in isolation.   Here are some key points they point out about videoing teaching.
  • Elevating Your Practice
  • Lessening Isolation
  • Garnering Teacher Enthusiasm
  • Keep evaluation and exercises for growth separate
  • Cultivate trust
  • Empower teachers in the process.
  • Observations not judgements
Getting better is about looking at the difference between what we perceive about our teaching and what actually happened.    As you Instructional Technology Coach, I'd be happy to help you with this self reflective process.  Perhaps I could work with you on goal setting and watch you teaching with you!    I believe video can be a powerful tool, once you get past what you look like while being videoed... at least that is my fear of always being videoed!   

I've read a lot of Jim Knight, Instructional Coaching guru, and he thinks videoing is an extremely powerful tool.   I'm looking forward to my first video session this week with a second grade teacher.  Hopefully we both find  the process to be useful... and we hope to brag about it as well to spark some interest!     Let me know if you are interested and I'd be happy to help!


Are you interested in Bill Gates: Teachers Need Real Feedback.  Check out his TED Talk below.  


No comments:

Post a Comment